9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2017 10:12 PM by Kshitij S RSS

SteelHead GUI access via IPv6 not working.

Raj Singh

Accessing Steelheads (Physical appliance & Virtual) via GUI - using IPv6 address on few different models /version is not working. We are running 9.1.5a to 9.2.1d on our devices.

Is GUI access supported using v6 ?

Please advise...

• Re: SteelHead GUI access via IPv6 not working.
    Kshitij S

1. )Starting from RiOS v6.5 , management access via IPv6 for SH is available on Primary and Aux interfaces for SSH,HTTP,HTTPS and ICMP traffic. First time IPv6 configuration required an appliance reboot and service restart after you enable and Packet mode optimization.

2.)If  above steps are done  and you are still facing issue then check if port 443 is not blocked on some security device in between. Does it work if you try to open in local LAN or is it that It does not work only from remote location ?

3.)Have you tried to tweak the MTU settings. Sometimes, MTU issues can cause GUI accessibility problems.

Raj Singh

Thanks much for sharing the info, appreciate it.

Please find response/concern to your points below ...

1) For IPv6 to work , do we need to enable Packet-Mode optimization? Have you tried accessing the device via GUI using IPv6 for 9.2.1d or 9.1.5a or any other ? if so, could you please share the info.

2) 443 is not blocked as we access the device via GUI using IPv4 address (https). Have tried to access the SH using v6 in local LAN as well.

Kshitij S

Yes, Read this below KB. https://supportkb.riverbed.com/support/index?page=content&id=S14325&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1496978821737 Optimizing IPv6 traffic using Steelhead appliances: •Starting RiOS 7.0, Steelhead appliances can optimize IPv6 traffic. The feature is called "Packet Mode Optimization". Please refer to documentation for version 7.0 of Steelhead Appliance Deployment Guide here for details and limitations of this optimization blade.

Raj Singh

Hi Kshitij,

I understand that one needs to enable Packet-Mode Optimization for IPv6 optimization. My issue/concern is not able to access the SH via GUI (http / https) using IPv6 mgmt IP (Primary / Aux).

Have you tried accessing the device via web using IPv6 address ? If so, what version of RiOS was running on the SHs?

Kshitij S

No , I am afraid I have never tried this myself because we have a limitation as we use NATTED IPs for IPV4 addresses. However, as per Riverbed, beginning from RiOS v6.5 the management via Pri/Aux using IPv6 address is supported. If you not able to access it then you might need to check configuration or other compatibility settings and fine tune them,

Raj Singh

This is what I got from Riverbed TAC / Engineering....

Riverbed Engineering confirmed single-stack IPv6 is only supported in 9.5 and above. In RiOS 8.5+ dual stack (IPv4 and IPv6) was required as most processes still required an IPv4 address. While it does not specifically say in the user documentation, we would expect that IPv6 management would only be fully supported in 9.5+ due to single stack support in those versions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to validate this on RiOS 9.6.0a and noticed ....

SH on RiOS 9.6.0a - ---------------------------- Using IPv6 address, I was able to launch the login page and get to the home page but when we try to navigate to any other page from the dashboard the page goes blank….

This behavior is noticed on all 3 browsers (IE, Firefox and Chrome).

Have informed the engineering on this, they are trying to reproduce this issue in their lab and are working on it.

I'll provide an update once I receive a response from Riverbed in this regard....