3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2015 6:48 AM by djewhurst RSS

Datastore on large virtual SteelHeads

Ross Tanner

for a large virtual appliance, for example, the vCX5055, the datasheet states that the datastore is 8 x 80GB. Does this mean that we simply need to create (through the vSphere client) hard disks 3 through 9 , each with a size of 80GB, resize hard disk 2, which was created as part of OVF installation and reboot? The virtual SteelhHead will automatically use all the new drives. Is this understanding correct?

• Re: Datastore on large virtual SteelHeads
    djewhurst

Here is the relevant section from the vCX users guide.  FTS is fault tolerant storage, so you can lose a disk and that only affects the datastore data on that disk.  I imagine, you could also spread out the vmdks such that it might be easier to maintain a high IOPS.

Multiple RiOS Data Stores
    As of RiOS v8.6, SteelHead-v models VCX5055, and VCX7055 support up to 14 RiOS data stores using FTS.
    Riverbed recommends that all RiOS data stores on an appliance are the same size.
    To add additional data stores, you must power off the VM.

• Re: Datastore on large virtual SteelHeads
      Ross Tanner

I appreciate the reply. I wanted to clarify the specific actions required to implement the larger VMs, but I think my initial understanding is correct. We used to have disk1 for management, and disk2 for the datastore, which is resized to align with the requirements of the VM model. Now, we also have disk3 through disk9, all being 80GB, and each has to be added by editing the resources through the vSphere client. And of course, power cycling the VM so it recognises the  datastores.