SteelCentral AppInternals has a lot of great capabilities, I have asked the greater AppInternals team for their favorite tips and tricks and got a nice list that I decided to share in this document. Special thanks to Greg OReilly, Jon Hodgson, Koundinya Srinivasarao, Doug Gribbons, Bryan Wynns , Peco Karayanev and many others who helped make this list possible.
If you have tips or tricks and want to share the knowledge, please post them as a comment to this article.
1. When looking at server delays by category, right click on Database enables you to choose "Show SQL Details" .
This gives you analysis on your top SQL calls
And helps diagnosing DataBase issues fast, as seen in this video.
2. When looking at Server Delays by Category, right click on Application Code enables you to choose "Show Code Details".
This gives you analysis on your top method.
And helps diagnosing application code issues fast, as seen in this video.
3. The search tab has google-like autocomplete search capabilities, you can click "Add Criteria" and add a criteria
Or you can just start typing what you are looking for and let AppIntenrals AutoComplete
With this beautiful capability you can search and isolate a group of transactions fast, as seen in this video.
4. In the search tab, if you search for X=Y and you want the inverse result set, use !(X=Y).
Most people try to use X!=Y but in some cases this does not give the right result, !(X=Y) is the correct condition for inverse result set.
For example, to search for transactions from Brazil you search for country='brazil'
To get transactions that are NOT from brazil search for ! ( country = 'brazil' )
5. Seeing ... (3 dots) in SQL statements, exceptions or parameters? Do you need to see the full string?
Edit you agent configuration, under Transaction Tracing > Transaction Settings > increase the Maximum string length
6. You defined a new transaction and you see 0 items for it even though it is exercised, what can be the reason for it?
When defining transactions, remember that there is an order, transaction will appear under the first transaction type definition that catches it.
7. Sometimes you end up seeing a very long running transaction, thousands of seconds, that end up being a single method, which is just sitting there waiting on a queue until it times out. You can eliminate those by adding a "Never Collect" filter on that class/method.
8. When planning a larger deployment, always try to have applications with inter communication with each other report to the same Analysis Server, this is better for stitching and correlation.
9. When it comes to transactions we want to extract and categorize what we care about and leave behind the tailing
10. AppIntenrals has fantastic documentation, every screen has direct access to help about that screen.
Hope you find this list useful.