The project demonstrates the power of pulling together multiple open-source projects:
- Django, a Python-based web framework that makes it easy to build web applications
- Django REST Framework - an extension for Django for adding standard REST APIs to Django database models
- Bootstrap - Twitter UI framework to rapidly build the the front-end web application
After installation and just configuring the address of a single Profiler and a single Shark, the FlyScript Portal will serve up 4 reports by default (click to see full size):
- Overall Report - Combines a map widget, Profiler data and Shark data to provide a simple overview of network performance
- Profiler Report - Detailed report of multiple widgets from Profiler data
- Shark Report - Detailed report of multiple widgets from Shark data
- Response Time Map - Large map with associated table based on Profiler data
These reports are just demonstrations and are customizable via configuration files. All available Shark and Profiler metrics can be used. UI Widgets can be used to render data tables from any device.
This early release concentrates on defining a modular architecture, making it easy to add additional data sources as well as new UI visualizations. It keeps data sources completely separated from the UI, such that generating new data does not mean writing UI code, nor does writing a fancy new UI widget require customizing data sources.
The FlyScript Portal relies on a number of packages in addition to the FlyScript SDK. See the installation instructions in the README.
The full source code is also available on github: http://github.com/riverbed/flyscript-portal